Monday, September 15, 2008

Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing









It's kind of weird for me to have Bailey in fourth grade. I really remember fourth grade. I remember Miss McCloud was my homeroom teacher, Mrs. Hirschi got married, and Mrs. Hansen taught Utah History. ( I can't remember the other two teacher's names. Any help from my fellow Silver Mesa Eagles?) Mrs. Hansen was the best teacher ever!!! I loved Utah history!!! We made salt dough maps, Indian fry bread, and weaved bags out of yarn. Almost every unit had some hands on project. Making the bag made such an impact on me, we used the same method to weave a bag out of rafia for Bailey's Native American report last year. Now my baby is learning Utah history and I am so excited. Last week she made a map at school from a cake and candy. We were instructed to cut then frost a cake in the shape of Utah and send it to school with candy. The frosting was in three colors marking the mountain region, the Great Basin, and the plateau region. We sent kisses for mountains, Reeces for plateaus, crushed up Oreos for the desert and blue frosting for lakes and rivers. It was really fun.




I also remember them reading a book about Santa Clause and finding out for sure that Santa wasn't real. I was bummed. I remember the student teacher (name anyone?) telling us to scoot in close so the first graders wouldn't hear. I didn't want to hear!!!! I remember doing times tables tests on transparencies and it taking me forever to pass them off. Bailey has hers shaped in a race track. She is working on her 4's and hopefully will pass them off tomorrow.




I remember feeling like I could read "Tales of the Fourth Grade Nothing" because I was in fourth grade. Kind of like reading "Ramona Quimby: age 8" when I was eight. Now those books are on my daughter's bookshelf. We talk about authors like Judy Blume, Beverly Cleary, and Roald Dahl. It is all going by so fast, and I am sure the nest few years will seem to go even faster. For now, I will just enjoy learning about Utah all over again.








6 comments:

Pfunderware said...

what do you mean, Santa is not real...bah humbug to you, unbeliever!

Chester Copperpot said...

Thanks for ruining Christmas, Juli.

Tracey said...

Gosh Juli, you have an awesome memory! I don't remember half the things you do. My question is are you going to tell Bailey about Santa? That was a horrible thing to do to a fourth grader!

vicky said...

Did you let her read "Wifey"??? YIKES you Utah people are pretty liberal...ha ha ha!

The Shill Spill said...

They have really nice Ramona books at Costco right now. :)
I remember third grade being better for me than 4th grade. (Much nicer teacher then.) And...I don't recall trading classes for different subjects until at least 5th grade.

Karen said...

I've heard my sisters talk about "re-living" things with their kids. I guess this part is the fun time, but wow - I'm not sure I want to do the teenage thing again.