Friday, September 26, 2008

MY ETERNAL NEMISIS


Last week, in preparation of Gracie's blessing, I tried to climb the Mt. Everest of my life, laundry. I had been running loads quite frequently but had been unable to get them all folded. So, a week a go I sat down to fold and fold and fold. I remember well, the days as kids when my mom would load up several large black garbage bags full of laundry and head off to the laundry mat to catch up on the never ending task. I have also been known to make such trips to the quarter eating carnival. In fact, just days before we were married, I took all of Brandon's laundry and my own to the laundry mat. I ran out of cash and had to go get some more. A sweet lady that had made conversation with me loaned me ten bucks to keep my machines going while I ran to get cash. When I returned, I found a note stuck to one of the washers that said congratulations and that the ten dollars was a gift for us. What a sweet lady!!! I had just as sweet an experience this summer while I was sick. My mom had come to help out while I was on bed rest. She peeked in my room, AKA the laundry hamper, and demanded that Brandon give her some of our laundry. Brandon bundled up a few loads to get her off his back...so he thought. Every time we saw my parents over the next few weeks, they would bring back piles of clean clothes and take bags of dirty ones until we completely caught up. I am proud to say that I have stayed pretty on top of it since Gracie was born. The several loads that are pictured were the most behind I have gotten. My punishment... as I was caring the basket to put the clothes away, I slipped and fell...HARD. I laid on floor for a moment waiting to feel the throbbing pain of broken bones. Luckily it never came. However, I did ache and moan for several days. The laundry gods have spoken...lesson learned!!!

P.S. My slip covers for the couch and chairs were in the dryer!

8 comments:

Kelly said...

Laundry takes me forever, too! I finally had to cut out the'folding'step. I realized that they take the folded stuff from my room and completely wad it up before stuffing it into their drawers. It was a waste of my time! Now, I just sort piles for each wearer and they further sort into the right drawer/bin...or they say they do anyways!

Unknown said...

Boy, can I relate. The other night I was watching "Jon and Kate + eight" and I saw that she has Laundry helpers who fold and put away their laundry...for 30 seconds I thought it would be worth it to have 8 kids in order to have volunteers come into my house and deal with my laundry! I always wondered if it was just me who loathed the ordeal...the neverending ordeal...thanks for posting...glad that you are o.k. after your fall. In the back of my head I've wondered: if Ryan and I ever go on a couples mission will I be doing laundry in a temple somewhere?????!!!!!!

Rachel & Todd said...

Hey, your couch looks like MY couch! I finished my folding yesterday while watching Arrested Development, Season 2...funny stuff! I have bins for Holly and Hunter like Kelly mentioned, BEST idea ever!!!

vicky said...

Isn't it amazing how many clothes a family can generate? Good for you for keeping up!

Kristi said...

Hi Julie!! I just had to take a peak at your blog! The funny thing is that I just started visiting an older sister (she must be nearing 100!) and somehow the subject of laundry came up...She just laughed at me because she used to have to go outside to pump the water and carry it into the house, then heat it over a fire and boil her clothes!!!! She said when washing machines were invented she thought everyone would be sick from not boiling their clothes! I have to say I HATE laundry worse than anything, but I went home and did all my laundry that day!!!! I just had to comment and tell you I sympathize!! And congrats on your new baby Gracie!!!

Kristi said...

Oh, by the way, this is Tracey's sister....just in case you didn't know who was commenting on your blog!!! Ha ha!

Amie said...

I couldn't agree more. Laundry is my worst nightmare. I am horrible at staying on top of it. Most of the time we can hardly get the laundry room door open because there is so much to do. Way to go for being on top of it.

Unknown said...

Juli!!!! I am so impressed with your enrichment blog! What an awesome idea...way to go with magnifying your calling girl! Hope you have a great SuperSaturday..looks like tons of fun!