Saturday, November 15, 2008

GO....!!!!


I can remember going to Utah football games for almost as long as I can remember.  Mom and Dad sent the three kids to the South end zone on the bleachers.  They sat in seats on the West side line.  Carl and Jenn were always way more into it than I was.  When Carl was pretty young, he wouldn't wear his blue coat during a very snowy BYU game.  I wonder if the people around us ever questioned my parents? (Oh, they were probably to drunk and not really family people, being UTAH fans and all - heathens!!!)
In 6th grade, I became friends with Melinda, who also went to most of the games.  For the next few years we would meet up and our main concerns were cute boys, tight ends (hee hee) and affixing pom poms to our heads.  My main focus in life then became the Jazz and I remember very little football, other than hoping that my outcast family wouldn't be ridiculed at Thanksgiving due to a UTAH loss.
Then came what has become known as my great rebellion.  I went to BYU.  Unthinkable!!!  My loving parents paid my tuition(with UofU checks) in hopes that I would one day return to the fold (they did ask who my family would be and where was I going to spend Christmas, though).   They even let me buy a BYU sweatshirt when my sister was playing UTE tennis against BYU in Provo.  I went to games, learned "Rise and Shout" and visited my Cougar fan grandparents during half-time.  (who had been known to sneak in something a little extra in their thermos to keep them warm, if you know what I mean ....GASP!) I love them sooooo much!!! I ended up working for Blue and White Sports Network and spent many fall Saturdays on the sidelines or in the truck.  I edited footage, ran cable, held mics, and wrote for a weekly sports recap show.  I thought I was true blue.
But, true colors won out.  I have returned to the fold.  We changed to DirecTV so we can watch the Utes.  I look forward to game watching parties at my sister's house.  I check the latest polls on-line Sunday morning.  And I am thinking about sending my kids to school in red everyday this week.  I am not guaranteeing  a victory because I know anything can happen, but I won't be wearing a blue coat even if it is snowing.

p.s.  anyone want to babysit next Sat. evening for about five hours?:) 

5 comments:

Kelly said...

Was it really 'true colors' or did you just give in to the evils of peer pressure?
Just because they're your family doen't make them right!

Karen said...

I'm with Kelly. I think you just gave into the tickets at the Ute stadium...

My nephews are excited to watch the game with Jeremy and I. I'm alittle nervous about Jeremy, because he has a habit of getting really mad, but hopefully that'll just make it more fun for them. Zach and JEremy went to a BYU game a couple of weeks ago, and Zach just loved singing "Rah-Rah-Rah-Rah-Rah, Go Cougars!" He's a good kid...

pfabulouspfun-der said...

I don't know Karen, someone has been telling my son that te Utes are cheaters... can you really say that about a football team besides the Patriots. Bailey said kids are mean to her because she cheers for Utah. Nice values :)! Trust me we (Brandon and I, the adults) can be pretty ruthless as well, just ask Jenna. And as for my "blue" years, I always did feel a bit "dirty".

The Shill Spill said...

Well, if we're going to get into it...then let's do it! :)
First of all it was your son who came to my door asking my son if he liked the cougars...and my innocent son told him yes. And, after that all I heard was: "You do? Well, I don't. The Utes are better." (Or, something like that.)
And second of all, I was one of the children in that south end-zone with a bunch of drunk adutls...and oddly enough, one of them was my father. (How we made it home from games, or didn't get arrested after my dad tried tiping a bus or two over on the way home is beyond me.) What 'heathens' we were, ey? :)
Both of these reasons give me great reason to stand right down the middle of this line...and cheer for that wonderful valley -- up in the 'real' north. Go Aggies! Besides, I don't like to see Aaron upset after a loss...but I won't watch the rivalry game anymore. (And haven't for years.) Go figure, huh?!

vicky said...

I'm with you Tiffany...GO AGGIES! :)